Everyone talks about SEO and its lifetime results on the web world. But there are so many things in it to follow regularly. There are so many things in SEO to learn but the question is from where to start? So here’s the article on SEO Basics written by Mr. Brijesh Soni who is the founder of @DigitalBrijesh & he has specialization in SEO, Blogging, & Affiliate Marketing.
If you are an SEO novice, let’s take a quick look, what is SEO all about and how it works. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the practice of bringing targeted traffic to your website from the rankings of organic search engines. SEO tools help you to increase the ranking of the website and bring more organic traffic on the search engines for search terms that are particularly related to your industry.
This blog basically provides an introduction and overview of Search Engine Optimization i.e. SEO, a type of marketing method or a tactic to increase the visibility of your website and its content on Search Engine Result Pages that are SEO. If you work in a Marketing Firm or write Blogs, Articles then it is really important for you to know SEO or the basics of SEO. Understanding Search Engine is important & for that, know why you need SEO Expert team for your business.
To know the visibility of the website you must know some essential points
- How do search engines work?
- Who are your target audience and what type of content they need?
- How to increase your website traffic and promote your website content?
According to the user’s viewpoint, search engines are a kind of advanced robot where you can put any query in a search box and get results in milliseconds. Popular search engines like Google have now even started to answers some of the queries directly in the search results, which saves a lot of time as well as clicks.
But now the main point is how Google search engine works and why it is important to know the basic details of a search engine like Google.
How does Search Engine Work?
First of all, the search engines just need to know and understand precisely what type of information is available and present it to users logically. The search engine accomplishes this through three primary functions:
Through these functions, the Google search engine discovers newly published content and at the same time stores all the information on their servers and also organize it accordingly when it is needed. You can also read this article to know more about, how the search engine works.
What does crawl basically mean?
The crawler is basically a computer program that downloads web pages and reviews the website content. It is also known as spiders or bots. From time to time search engines discover new content through re-crawling has known pages where new links get added frequently over a period of time.
- Search engine indexing
Search engines process as well as store the information they find in a index item, where a vast database of all kinds of content they have already discovered and is adequate enough to serve up to searchers.
Search Engine Ranking
When a user performs a search then the search engine cleanses their index for extremely appropriate content and shows the best content to solve the user’s query. This sequence of search results by relevance is known as the ranking process. In a simple language, you can presume that the higher a website is ranked, the more significant the search engine considers that website is to the query.
Now the next question comes to your mind then what is the search engine algorithm?
When a user does any search then search engines rank the matching result with a user search and this is the prime job of search engine algorithms. Each search engine contains unique algorithms for ranking the web page. Let us take the most widely used search engine that is Google:
How does Google Search Engine work?
Google search engine works in the same way as it is described above. First of all, it crawls the web and indexes the information or content it finds. Then what the user searches on the search page, Google gives the matching results and algorithmically ranks them by relevance in a millisecond or fraction of seconds.
For example user search for “schannel perfume” but you meant Chanel perfume:
Users often misspell queries but Google can easily evaluate a query if it is clear what the user means and the misspelled version of the query has no meaning. Besides that Google can easily understand synonyms, singular and plural forms, possible misspellings, and stemming.
What is On-Page SEO and its factors?
On-page SEO is basically a practice of enhancing or optimizing the individual web pages in order to rank higher and get more organic traffic in search engines. On-page SEO refers to both HTML source code and content of a page that can be improvised in contrast to Off-page SEO which refers to links and other kinds of external signals. On-page and Off-page SEO go hand-in-hand; it means that if you do not pay more attention to the basic concepts of On-page SEO then Off-page SEO won’t be helpful to you.
In simple terms, On-Page SEO includes optimizing HTML tags such as meta, title, and header as well as your headlines.
On-Page SEO Factors:
- Meta Description: Meta description tells the description of the page, what the page is all about. Optimizing the meta description appropriately helps Google to improve the quality of the result and what your website offers.
- Title Tag: The title tags are mentioned in the head section of each webpage and provide the context of the respective page, what it is about. If there are duplicate, missing, or very poorly written title tags, then it has a negative impact on Google search results.
- Headlines: Impressive or compelling headlines always are on the top of the Google search page. The headline should be catchy and different so that it can grasp the audience attention and can easily stand out on the search engine results pages (SERPs)
- Image Optimization: By adding images related to your content, your web pages make them more attractive and appealing. Always remember that adding images can slow down your website speed but if you optimize the images appropriately then it will surely help to make valuable SEO content.
- Targeting appropriate Keywords: A right and an appropriate keyword always ranks your website one step forward. The keyword density is around 2%. To know the usage of the right amount of keywords according to the word limit of your content makes the chances higher to well-optimized the content for search engines.
What is Off-page SEO and its factors?
Off-page SEO includes all the methods or tactics that take place outside the website to optimize its search engine rankings.
- Link Building: Link building is one of the most important marketing techniques used in SEO. It helps in improving the search engine visibility of the website. The most common and popular link building strategies are content marketing, email outreach, building useful tools, directory submission, classified submission, articles submission, image & video submission, etc.
- Relevance: The relevance of the linking website and also web pages matters a lot. For example, if you are a sports company and you have a link from a fitness clothes blog or fitness equipment blog, then that is possibly carrying more power than a link from a marketing blog.
Along with the given explanation, creating SEO friendly content is one of the crucial things while doing SEO. From this blog, now you get to know how important it is to know the basics of SEO, and putting the right skills behind these basics into practice will surely ensure you take your content to new heights.
Brijesh Soni Founder @DigitalBrijesh SEO Practitioner, Blogger, & Affiliate Marketer